- Your Basket
- empty -
- Free Delivery on UK Orders Over £29 |
- Order by 3pm For Next Working Day Delivery* |
- 60 Day Returns
- TEL: 0161 351 4700
Dog health symptoms to consider
Now more than ever we all understand how important it is to stay healthy and active and the same is just as true for the pets that we love.
With this in mind we have outlined some of the most common health symptoms that dog owners would be wise to watch out for.
• Fleas – Fleas are a common concern for any dog owner and can result in serious injury even death to young puppies.
If steps aren’t taken to treat fleas they could even end up taking residence in your house. The best way to prevent fleas is to make use of a dog flea collar or a flea drop, such as the Johnsons Large Flea and Tick Drops. However if you notice fleas have already started spreading in your home a Bob Martin Home Flea Bomb will soon have it cleared.
• Pale gums – As a general rule dogs should have healthy pink gums and if they happen to have gums that are grey or bleeding then it is a sure sign of disease, or infection. If you find this is the case then it would be advisable to consult a vet.
• Diarrhoea – A symptom that you can always recognise left untreated diarrhoea can lead to dehydration and must be monitored closely. If you find that your dog has diarrhoea then it would be advisable to check their diet, or inspect whether they could have accidently ingested something. If symptoms persist contact your vet.
• Split and bleeding claws – This little known health concern can be a real pain for dogs. If a dog’s claws become too long then there is a real danger of the claws splitting and breaking, which can lead to severe bleeding and pain. Remember to regularly make use of nail clippers to trim down your dogs claws.
• Ear infections – Ear infections are a serious business and should be addressed by a vet at the soonest opportunity. However you can make use of an ear cleanser such as the Johnsons Ear Cleanser to avoid the problem. These antibacterial, non-irritant and non-staining wipes are an ideal way to dissolve and aid in the removal of wax and other debris from your pets ears.
• Overweight – Overfeeding of your dogs can be a serious problem. Whether it’s through too many dog treats or not enough time running around the garden with their favourite dog toy, an overweight dog can be in real trouble. The best way to help your pet get back to shape is to make use of a light dog food. In combination with healthy, regular exercise your dog will be shedding the pounds in no time.
Posted by Sam Bainbridge
Pet supplies: The essentials - 10th October, 2012
Top of the list pet supplies: dog crates Dog crates should always be close to the top of your list when stocking up on pet supplies. As mentioned in previous article, dog crates are the ideal way of providing your dog with a space to ca...
Crate training: Why it can help your dog - 24th September, 2012
Crate training is simply the process of getting a pet to accept a crate as a safe and comfortable location. At first glance crate training may seem like a form of punishment to your dog, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. For sleepin...
Arden Grange's new bag sizes explained - 7th December, 2012
Why is Arden Grange dog food now in smaller bags? Arden Grange changed the sizes of its bags from 15kg to 12kg in September 2012. Unfortunately, the popular 15kg size is now discontinued and is no longer in production, so we're unab...
Premium food, Swell Price - 20th February, 2013
Swell Pets has launched a new revolutionary balanced dog food that is of the absolute premium quality, but is retailed at a low cost in accordance to our policy to give you an excellent product at an affordable price. In comparison to the popular bi...