- Your Basket
- empty -
- Next working day delivery on orders made before 3pm* |
- 60 Day Returns
- TEL: 0161 351 4700
Dog health symptoms to consider
Now more than ever we all understand how important it is to stay healthy and active and the same is just as true for the pets that we love.
With this in mind we have outlined some of the most common health symptoms that dog owners would be wise to watch out for.
• Fleas – Fleas are a common concern for any dog owner and can result in serious injury even death to young puppies.
If steps aren’t taken to treat fleas they could even end up taking residence in your house. The best way to prevent fleas is to make use of a dog flea collar or a flea drop, such as the Johnsons Large Flea and Tick Drops. However if you notice fleas have already started spreading in your home a Bob Martin Home Flea Bomb will soon have it cleared.
• Pale gums – As a general rule dogs should have healthy pink gums and if they happen to have gums that are grey or bleeding then it is a sure sign of disease, or infection. If you find this is the case then it would be advisable to consult a vet.
• Diarrhoea – A symptom that you can always recognise left untreated diarrhoea can lead to dehydration and must be monitored closely. If you find that your dog has diarrhoea then it would be advisable to check their diet, or inspect whether they could have accidently ingested something. If symptoms persist contact your vet.
• Split and bleeding claws – This little known health concern can be a real pain for dogs. If a dog’s claws become too long then there is a real danger of the claws splitting and breaking, which can lead to severe bleeding and pain. Remember to regularly make use of nail clippers to trim down your dogs claws.
• Ear infections – Ear infections are a serious business and should be addressed by a vet at the soonest opportunity. However you can make use of an ear cleanser such as the Johnsons Ear Cleanser to avoid the problem. These antibacterial, non-irritant and non-staining wipes are an ideal way to dissolve and aid in the removal of wax and other debris from your pets ears.
• Overweight – Overfeeding of your dogs can be a serious problem. Whether it’s through too many dog treats or not enough time running around the garden with their favourite dog toy, an overweight dog can be in real trouble. The best way to help your pet get back to shape is to make use of a light dog food. In combination with healthy, regular exercise your dog will be shedding the pounds in no time.
Posted by Sam Bainbridge
My sheep dog and I at Crufts 2014. - 12th March, 2014
We that’s it! It’s all over! But what a great time we had at Crufts. Thursday saw the Warrington Warriors and Warrington Wizards in the Flyball ring. The atmosphere was electric and after months of traini...
Competitions at Swell - 5th December, 2013
Our competitions vary, there will be some where you have to share a photo of your reptile on our Facebook page, there will be others where you have to write a blog post about your pet and there will also be giveaways where you simply have to ...
Just what the dogter ordered. Swell dog health advice - 21st February, 2014
When bringing a dog into your home for the first time, we recommend making sure that it is neutered, vaccinated, insured and micro chipped. Many health problems are easily preventable with the help of regular grooming, exercise, a bal...
Crufts 2014 - 7th February, 2014
The world's largest dog show, Crufts, is over a week away and everyone in the Swell office is starting to get a little excited about it. Pet advisor, Karren, has qualified to compete with her dog Skye, who is taking part...