Shop By Brand
Cleaning Dog Teeth
Your dogs hygiene is as important as your own and a dog's teeth should not be overlooked.
Your dogs teeth and gums still get a build up of plaque and bacteria even when their diet is healthy. Everytime a dog eats, food will collect along the teeth and food particles build up. Saliva is a dogs natural way to keep a dogs mouth clean but often it is not enough.
Some dogs are more prone to oral problems because of poor teeth allignment, recesses in the mouth (where food gathers), broken teeth or simply hereditary factors.
Some common dogs oral health problems:
- Tooth root infection
- Loose teeth
- Infections of the bloodstream causing heart, kidney and liver disease
It's worth remember that around 7 out of 10 dogs over the age of 3 have some kind of dental disease. You can help prevent this for your dog by following these tips:
- Give your dog less soft foods and more dry biscuits, chews and bones which rub the teeth clean and help promote saliva flow
- Clean your dogs teeth regularly (twice a day to twice a week) - remember to introduce this when the dog is still young as older dogs will be less tolerant!
- Teeth descaling needs to be done at the vets and under general aesthetic but it's a good idea to take your dog every 6 to 12 months for this treathment
How to Clean your Dog's Teeth
- Choose a soft toothbrush. You can get doggy toothbrushes such as an 'over the finger rubber minibrush' but a soft child's brush will do.
- Don't use human's toothpast. A special toothpaste or enzyme gel for dissolving plaque for dogs is a must.
- Gradually introduce your dog to the concept of having a toothbrush and toothpaste in his mouth. Start with putting some paste on your finger and wiping it on his teeth.
- A rubber minibrush is best to begin with
- Brush with a circular motion and most importantly BE GENTLE!
More News and Resources for Pet Lovers
- Royal Canin Pet Food Comes Up Tops
- Doggy Slimmer of the Year
- Want to give a dog or cat a home?
- Sad Plight of Abandoned Christmas Pets
- Dog Health Tips
- Cleaning Dog Teeth
- Your basket is empty
- Miss K, Dundee
5th August 2010
Dear Sir/Madam I would like to thank you very much for being so great company, I have ordered for...
- Mr F, Derbyshire
27th July 2010
Hi Just to say thanks for the promptness of my order . I will use your company again. Mr F, De...
- Mr S, Suffolk
16th July 2010
To all at Swell Pets, I have placed quite a few orders with you now and you have never ceased to ...
- Mrs H, Kent
22nd June 2010
Many thanks order received today. Look forward to doing business with you again. Oh and by the wa...